Friday, December 28, 2007

A day in the life of.....

Sorry no pictures today, since it wasn’t a Zeb day. So we just slept in, talked to the parents and finally got our passports back, which makes Wayne feel like a whole person again. He really didn’t like not having his passport.
So we decide we would bundle up today and at least get out and walk somewhere to eat. We ventured out to the Guinness Pub where I had the buffet and Wayne had the grilled chicken, the food is interesting to say the least. Just some fun facts about Almaty: 1) no ice in your drinks and you only get one small drink with your meals and they don’t ask you if want a refill, 2) you typically don’t leave a tip because they include this in the price (but we just can’t get past that and tend to tip anyways), 3) they call their malls supermarkets and are set up like flea markets (small cubicles), 4) the grocery store next door is smaller than most of our quick marts, 5) the traffic is horrible-cars are everywhere (and we mean everywhere) and they honk non-stop, 6) to cross the street you just walk out in the middle and hope for the best because there are cars everywhere, 7) when you take a taxi you might just be getting in someone’s personal car and they will drive you for a fee, 8) all the women wear tall black boots with stiletto heals even on the snow and ice, 9) every place you go there is a security guard at the doorway, 10) work day starts at 10 and ends at 10 and we are not really sure when their lunch hour is, 11) people are not friendly at all, even waiters, 12) people from Almaty speak Russian and most people outside of Almaty speak Kazak, 13) the president of Kazakhstan moved the capital from Almaty to Astana because he feared earthquakes (or at least that is what our translator told us), 14) you only tip the bell boy 200 tenges (which only is $1.60), our poor bell boy carried 100 lbs of luggage up a flight of stairs for $1.60 you wouldn’t find that in America, 15) our hotel staff works 24 hours on and 48 off, 16) in the grocery store they have Pringles, m&m’s, skittles, snickers, kit kats, twix, starbursts, pepsi, coke and instead of diet it’s called pepsi light. We go to the store almost daily and buy all of the above and that’s it, those people probably think we are junk food junkies, but we don’t know what anything else is so that is all we get.
Good news this afternoon, the babyhouse director has agreed to let us visit tomorrow so that made our day. We are so excited about this since they typically don’t let you visit on the weekends here. So tomorrow there will be more posts and pictures. I just wonder at some point if you all will get tired of hearing us talk about our little guy and seeing all those pictures.
Something else of interest today. We brought our playstation portable with us and only brought the USB cable for charging, well come to find out if you let the battery completely die then you can’t charge it this way and need the AC adapter, which we left at home because it was so big. Yesterday, Wayne was watching a movie on the psp and the battery died so we thought that there was not going to be a way to get it charged back up since we only had the usb cable and it didn’t work. When we were walking through a mall up the street, we came across a booth that sold PSP’s and they actually had an AC adapter for only 2000 tenges, that almost is a God thing, because let me tell you it was in a mall like a flea market, not radio shack or best buy. Of course we bought it immediately and were very proud of our purchase, so Wayne is now watching the Dukes of Hazards on his PSP while it charges. It is amazing what can make us happy when you don’t have the conveniences of home.
Keep those prays coming, we continue to be grateful for each and everyone of them.
Love, Crystal

11 comments:

Tina Paul said...

Keep writing. We'll never get tired of hearing about the little guy. He's lucky to have two people that care so much about him and of course you are lucky to have him. He is absolutely adorable. We can't wait for the three of you to be home. Take care. Love, Rusty, Tina, Regan and Reece

Melody said...

I love all of the updates and pictures. Please don't stop. Praying for you no earthquakes, more M&M's, a smiling face, and a visit with your son tomorrow. God bless, Melody

Anonymous said...

Keep posting! I will still want to see pics years from now :) He is an absolute doll. Glad that you're finding your way around there. The fun facts cracked me up. I love hearing your story. Praying for you all daily.

Carrie said...

Love the blog. We can never see to many pics or hear to many details about Mr. Zeb! Crystal you were right, I did actually laugh today at this posting. So glad you get to make up your visit tomorrow. Eat as much candy as you want, you guys deserve it. Will be impatiently waiting for tomorrows blog. Keep warm and safe! Love, Carrie and the rest of my gang

Krista said...

Okay, your list reminds me of Letterman! It was hysterical to read and even funnier to envision you and Wayne buying the junk food! I'm sure it was a long day not getting to see the little fellow--I missed seeing his pic posted today, too! Can't wait to see him in person!

Anonymous said...

I love your postings to, and got a laugh today. Clint would be in trouble over there since he dosen't eat chocolate. How long does it take to get a package over there? We can send care packages on your next trip. :)
~Leanne

Bec said...

I can hardly wait each day to read what has gone on with you guys. I know you guys can hardly wait to see your son tomorrow. God Bless and I can't wait to see more pics and hear more about how wonderful he is. Love Becky Buck Bryar and Tyler

Lynne said...

Your blog is my event of the day....I settle in with my caffeine free diet coke (so glad you have diet coke!!) and read away. You are doing such a great job with updates.....thank you for letting me feel a part of this time.

The Dave Shaws said...

We love and look forward to reading your postings everyday and keep those pictures coming. We can't wait for the Shaw reunion to actually meet him. Seeing the two of you with him brings us great joy. Thank you for sharing this special time with all of us.
Be safe.
Love you,
Dave, Tami, Matt, Kara & Kevin

Anonymous said...

Okay sis-in-law, I tried to tell you that we would not get tired of looking at pictures of Zeb or reading about your journey and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm family. It seems that everyone might be a little interested. We love ya'll and miss you. Aunt Gina, Riley, Brooke and Macey

Crandalls said...

Your blog is something that I look forward to everyday. It is adictive. I am so glad that we have the ability to experience this with you and Wayne. I would be going crazy if I didn't know what was going on with you guys over there. And of course, I had no doubts that you wouldn't find the skittles or some other form of candy....Crystal without candy..I would hate to see that!!HA!! Keep up the postings.

Oh, what size is Zeb wearing..I was in Old Navy yesterday and it was all I could do not to buy him something.

Love,
Tonya